Saturday, July 25, 2009

Week 5 Question #8

8. Elizabeth Bishop’s “The Fish” is perhaps her best known and most “referred to” poem, in some respects because of the depth with which she is able to characterize the animal. Discuss what you find special, unique, and successful in her narrative verse.

In Elizabeth Bishop’s poem “The Fish” I found the story line to be one of imagery in a special way. Not only was Bishop able to characterize what the fish looked like on the outside “his brown skin hung in strips,…and it’s pattern of darker brown” (Lines 10 and 12) she characterized what he looked like on the inside “I thought of the course white flesh packed in like feathers” (Lines 27-28). The characterization of the inside of the fish was so much more vivid and delightful; it was as though I could taste how delicious it would be to eat. Bishop was also able to characterize the fact that this was an older fish “He was speckled with barnacles,…and infested with tiny white sea lice.” (Lines 16 and Lines18-19). What I found extremely unique in the poem was that through her characterization of the hooks in the fish’s mouth, the author was able to make me feel the emotion of the fish, pride. Pride for having escaped so many times “five big hooks grown firmly in his mouth.” (Lines 54-55) and having them there “Like medals with their ribbons frayed and wavering.” (Lines 61-62). The flow and gaiety in Bishop’s style were amplified by the happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. I also found this poem as one of the unique poems I have ever read. Bishop charactirized the fish and the inner core of the fish so well it made me feel as though I actually seen the fish itself. I was able to have a vivid image of the fish in my mind. I found that very unique, because no every poet is so vivid in his/her work.

    ReplyDelete