Saturday, July 11, 2009

Week 3 Question 5

Kitty Tsui’s A Chinese Banquet, for the one who was not invited is a fascinating glimpse into the heavy social stigma that accompanies homosexuality still in many cultures. In the final stanza of the poem the speaker says “my back is healing”, this is a reference to the social whipping she took when she let her family know about her sexuality. She is saying that she is no longer hurt by the family and that she can handle the pressures placed on her. The next line in the stanza is “I dream of dragons in the water”. This line is the speaker’s assertion that she knows that her future is happy and she is knows that eventually the family will come to accept her partner.

1 comment:

  1. Great post be the way! By reading the last stanza I am getting a feeling that she is at a family gathering, and all she can think about is her lover back at home. I think that must be the hardest part about telling your loved ones about your sexuality, and waiting to see if they will accept you. I do agree with you and I get the same feeling that "she is no longer hurt by the family and she can handle the pressures placed on her.

    ReplyDelete