Friday, July 10, 2009

Week 3 Questions 3

In this poem by Essex Hemphill, the author reveals his feelings and emotions toward his family. He describes his hard life being a black gay man. In the beginning of the poem, he states “I will always be there” that means the author is open for every body in his family no matter the situation or the time he will be there, but at the same time he states “I am the invisible son” meaning that being homosexual is bad for his family and he feels bad that sometimes they won't be there for him. Also, he feels invisible because no one in his family care about him because his position of homosexuality. This is a revealing poem that describes the life of the author and his feelings toward his family.

1 comment:

  1. I did not take the last line, "I am an invisible man," as meaning that him being homosexual is bad for his family, possibly not what they wanted but not bad. In the beginning he opens with, "I will always be there," which I agree that it means he will always be there for his family. So I interpreted ,"I am an invisible man," as his family not being there for him like he would be for them, which you also stated.

    ReplyDelete